Step 7: Outreach and marketing are some of the most important tasks of your website. We’ll review how to start marketing your website in this article. People too often neglect this stage of growth for one reason or another. Don’t let your website be the best-kept secret in your niche. Marketing is an incredibly important piece of your web presence.
Table of Contents
Use What Works and Get Quick Wins First
There’s enough marketing information and tactics out there that will make your head spin. Most people find themselves on a never-ending checklist, never doing anything particularly well. Start small and figure out what’s real and working to help you sift through the garbage that’s out there.
Here are a few ideas in addition to the content below to help get you started:
- Connect to Google Search Console to make sure your content is reachable.
- If you have a local business and need help getting on Google, check out your state’s local SBDC office for no cost business advice. These SBDC locations are usually partners with the Grow with Google program.
- Connect to Bing Webmaster Tools to make sure your content is reachable.
- Join related online communities, network with others, and comment on relevant blog posts within your niche. This includes evaluating whether Reddit or Quora is worth it in your space.
- If you’ve done something cool with your website theme, submit your website to your theme company’s theme showcase.
The goals of these points are to get enough information on how organic visitors are drawn and interact with your website and to get backlinks without focusing too much on getting backlinks.
Choose One Vertical to Focus On
Getting set up on multiple tools and platforms, like the webmaster tools and social media, is OK.
However, we recommend the main focus on your traffic driver to be one offering when starting. So what’s it going to be? Paid ads, organic SEO, or word of mouth?
We have mostly helped clients with organic SEO. This seems to be the best bang for the buck. We have also focused on word of mouth advertising in promoting this site and even a few clients.
Besides finding direct visitors, your goal is to create an effective incoming link profile through backlinks. Backlinks are simply sites that link back to your site. Backlinks are a ranking factor that indicates to search engines that your site is trustworthy.
Creating Social Media Profiles
Some social media sites are not worth building out in certain niches. Social media can be a treadmill to nowhere if you aren’t careful. However, if you want to create a profile with every main social media network to mirror posts, that is fine.
Here are some official resources for creating new social profiles:
- Twitter Professional Account
- Facebook Page for Business
- Instagram Stories for Business
- Meta Business Ads – Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, and WhatsApp
What About Social Media Managers
If you do find social media to be a worthwhile investment and figure out which providers to use, you may wish to invest a little effort into setting up a social media manager provider. Social media managers can save a ton of time and provide excellent team functions to help you outsource some of your social media marketing efforts.
We have tried Buffer, Hootsuite, and Social Report. We used Social Report for a while and really enjoyed it. They were the only game in town with a reasonable social media profile slot count and supported Google+, which many vendors didn’t. Google+ was the main social media channel for many people.
Unfortunately, Google+ has shut down, and we’re not using the full features Social Report offers. It does have amazing features, but it ended up being a little overkill for the type of start we usually recommend to website admins. Furthermore, the cost is prohibitively very high for many people.